Townley - Metzger House
This house is an unusually fine example of the Stick Style and one of the few remaining such houses in the city. It displays all major style characteristics: surface emphasis on the underlying frame construction, elaborate cutwork detail in the gables and diagonal bracing. The fine carriage house displays many of the same characteristics. It was built by Ovid Butler as a gift to his daughter and new son-in-law, George E. Townley.
Townley, a leading grain merchant, was employed by Fred P. Rush & Co. At his death in 1900 the residence was purchased by Albert E. Metzger.
Metzger's family came to the U.S. from Germany in 1847. They settled in Indianapolis where his father established a bakery, which later became part of the National Biscuit Company. The younger Metzger (1865-1931) owned and operated the A. Metzger Agency, a real estate and insurance firm. His business ventures included aiding in the construction of the Guaranty Building on Monument Circle and the Lincoln Hotel. Heavily involved in community affairs, he assisted in the founding of many local companies including: Citizen's Gas Company, Marion Trust Co., and the Fletcher American National Bank. Metzger lived here until 1920.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.