Merrill - Merrifield House
This house is a classic example of the Italianate style. The elaborate bracketed cornice, incised window and door surrounds, hipped roof, and 3 sided bay are all hallmarks of the style and here they show the elaborate and rich effect which they could create. The residence was built by Samuel Merrill, and served as his home until 1885.
Merrill (1831-1924) inherited the firm Merrill, Meigs and Company, Booksellers and Stationers, from his father. This firm was the predecessor of the Bobbs-Merrill Publishing Company. Merrill served in the Civil War with Benjamin Harrison and was named Consul General of India in 1890. At the conclusion of this service he retired to California.
Charles E. Merrifield occupied this house beginning in 1893. He was part owner of Dalton and Merrifield, dealers in lumber, doors and blinds. His last listing at this address was in 1907.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.