1440 Central Avenue
This cottage shows the adaptation of the basic cottage plan to the Queen Anne style. The imbricated gable shingles set off the elaborate gable window with its swan's neck pediment. Albert W. Hazelrigg built the home and lived here until 1887.
In 1906 the residence was purchased by Joseph E. Reagan. Reagan (1866-1939) began his business career with the Baldwin-Miller Company, wholesale jewelers, in 1883. By 1900 he had taken over management of the firm, and in 1922 became its sole owner. Interested in civic affairs, he was a member of the Board of the Indianapolis Orphans Home, as well as first vice-president of Bankers Trust Company. In addition, he is credited with establishing the DeMolay movement in Indiana. He lived here until 1908.
Harvey J. Elam (1879-1947) took up residence in 1911. He came from a family of lawyers (his father was a law partner of Benjamin Harrison) and was himself an attorney who practiced 40 years with the firm Elam & Fesler, later Elam & Faure. He left this address in 1914.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.