All Saints Episcopal Church
1553 Central Avenue
Although this church dates from the first decade of the century its simplicity in design and detail is reminiscent of nineteenth century Gothic Revival churches. The simple lancet windows are subtly enhanced with stone label moulding and have smooth pressed brick reveals. The double door entry is surmounted by a large stone arch with three lancet windows, and a small mandorla shaped window above. There are clasping buttresses at the building corners and simple buttresses between each window of the nave. The circular apse is a later addition. A frame church existed on this lot for several years before the cathedral was built.
The congregation was established in 1864, with the aid of J.O.D. Lilly, W.J. Halliday and other prominent members of the community. Originally called Grace Church, the congregation occupied a site at the corner of Pennsylvania and St. Joseph Streets before moving to its present location. The Right Rev. David Buel Knickerbacker was a driving force behind the construction of this edifice, bequesting $10,000 toward its building fund. With the dedication of the Cathedral in 1909, the name of the parish was changed from Grace to All Saints. The Very Rev. Charles S. Lewis was the first pastor of the new church.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.