Robert Kipp House
1202 Central Avenue
Brandt Brothers, a local contracting firm, built this large home displaying Free Classic influence for the family of Robert Kipp.
A native of Westphalia, Kipp (c. 1850-c. 1914) emigrated to this country with his brother Albrecht in 1867. Both were employed by Charles Mayer & Company, an importer of toys, china, and notions. When Mayer discontinued his wholesale business the brothers established the Kipp Brothers Company, specializing in wholesale toys, fireworks and other novelties. Robert Kipp served as secretary-treasurer of the firm until his death. The business was quite successful, and eventually branches were opened in Dallas, Louisville and Kansas City. The Kipp family maintained residence in the home for nearly 60 years. In the late 1950s, the last family member moved and the house was converted into a duplex. The family retained ownership until 1976.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.