1514 North College Avenue
This Italianate structure features bracketed eaves, rounded windows, and a recessed entranceway on the south. Pleasant Bond, a prominent local educator and businessman, built the house.
Bond (1835-1911) returned to Indiana after graduating from the University of Michigan. He was Superintendent of Wabash Schools for two years before coming to Indianapolis. Here he served as county Superintendent of Marion County, and later as principal of Shortridge High School. Bond eventually gave up education and turned to the insurance business in 1881. A staunch prohibitionist, he once ran on that party's ticket for Mayor of Indianapolis. He left this address in 1876.
The following year, Benjamin Kelsey occupied the house. An agent with the Hartford Fire Insurance Company, Kelsey lived here until 1915.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.