1332 North Alabama Street
This excellent Queen Anne house is a classic example of the later phase of the style. The open gable, assymmetrical facade and corner tower are such characteristics. The porch is original. The corner tower, sometimes called a conservatory, was often used to display larger plants. This practice was the nineteenth century invention of Dr. Ward, known then as a Ward Case and now as a terrarium. Colonel Harry B. Smith built it as his residence and lived here until 1911.
Smith began his business career as a representative of various steel companies. In time, his interest in politics led to his election as Marion County Auditor in 1894 and 1898. He had previously served on the Board of Aldermen in 1886. The local Republican party appointed him its chairman in 1894. Smith also began a military career in 1877. He served in the Spanish-American War and was made Brigadier General in 1914. Governor Goodrich appointed him Adjutant General of the Indiana National Guard in 1917, a post he held until 1925. He married Lillian G. Boynton, daughter of Dr. Charles Boynton, a prominent local surgeon.
In 1911, John R. Hall took up residence. A salesman, Hall lived here until about 1925.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.