Benjamin Harrison House
1230 North Delaware Street
Herman T. Brandt, Architect
The porch on this house is not original. It does not, however, obscure the underlying Italianate house. The bracketed cornice, pedimented lintels and recessed round arched entrance are all typical of Italianate structures. In 1868 Benjamin Harrison purchased this lot and shortly thereafter erected this residence on it. His move north of the city initiated a migration of Indianapolis' most prominent citizens.
Harrison began his career as a successful lawyer, in partnership at various times with the firms Porter, Harrison & Fishback; Porter, Harrison & Hines; Harrison, Hines & Miller; and Harrison, Miller, Winter & Elam. His career was interrupted by the Civil War, from which he emerged as brigadier general. After the war he plunged back into his law practice and began an interest in politics. A loyal Republican, he was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1881 after an unsuccessful gubernatorial attempt. He retired from the Senate in 1887, but was nominated by the Republican party for president in 1888. He won the election only by the force of the electoral votes. His opponent had won the popular majority. As President, Harrison was responsible for creation of the National Park Service and the Federal Highway Commission. He was unsuccessful in his bid for a second term, and retired to his home where he died in 1901.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.