1336 North Delaware Street
One of a handful of first-generation (1870s) Victorian houses remaining on Delaware Street, this house was built in two sections. The sections reflect the change in styles in the nineteenth century. The Italianate west portion has round arched windows and curvilinear brackets. The main facade, although symmetrical, has a wall dormer which almost appears to function as a pavilion with the entrance giving it more of a Second Empire look. The house is more of a hybrid sharing Italianate and Second Empire features. The bow window, porte-cochere and art glass belong to the later remodeling.
The original west section of the house was built by Aaron Kauffman, a real estate dealer; the east section was built by Charlton Eden, owner of a planing mill further south on Delaware Street. During the 1890s, the Rev. Nathaniel Alden Hyde, an eminent Congregational pastor, resided in the home. About 1903, Henry Morrison Talbott, partner in Dickson and Talbott, the principal theatrical management firm in the late Victorian period, took up residence there, staying until his death in the late 1920s.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.