1319 North Alabama Street
This House probably had a more Stick Style when the porch was intact. However the saw-tooth gable trim and "eared" windows are remnants of an earlier style. It was built by Michael Shea, a local contractor.
It became the residence of Hugh McKennan Landon in 1899. A graduate of Harvard, Landon was vice-president and treasurer of the Indianapolis Water Company until 1912. In 1920 he was named vice-president and chairman of the executive committee of Fletcher Trust Company, eventually being elected chairman of the board in 1943. His many civic involvements included serving as the first president of the James Whitcomb Riley Association. His second wife, Jesse Spaulding Landon, was an active contributor to Riley Hospital. Something of a Philanthropist, she made a gift of 26 acres surrounding the entrance of George Washington's estate to Mount Vernon Ladies Association.
In 1916, the Reverend Frank Scott Carey Wicks took up residence. Rev. Wicks served as pastor to All Souls Unitarian Church for 32 Years. He was involved with many social and civic organizations, including the Family Welfare Association, and the John Herron Art Institute. His Second Wife, Katherine Gibson Wicks, authored several childrens books.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.