William B. Wheelock House
1346 North Delaware Street
This house has good details although the main entrance does not seem to fit with the other proportions of the house. The simple Tuscan columns and round arched windows relate to other styles, but this house is typical for the period. It was built on the site of an earlier structure by William B. Wheelock.
Wheelock (1862-1936) came to Indianapolis from Chicago and began a long association with L.S. Ayres & Company department store in 1893, the same year he married Lyman Ayres' daughter, Emma. He eventually became the first vice-president of the firm. From 1921 to 1926 he served first as president and later as director of the Merchant Association of Indianapolis. He remained in residence at the home until his death in 1936. Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.