1221 North Delaware Street
Although this house has been badly neglected, it still retains most of its wood and metal Italianate details. The stone window lintels have incised floral motifs. The brackets are pressed metal, and the stone entrance surround has slender colonettes and other unusual details. Allen A. Russell, a dealer in agricultural implements, built the house. He sold the residence to John Calvin Perry in 1889.
Perry was the owner of J.C. Perry & Company, a successful wholesale grocery. He left in about 1900 after it was purchased by an attorney, John G. Williams.
In 1920 it became the residence of Samuel Duncan Miller. Also an attorney, Miller's father, who lived next door at 1217 (now a parking lot), was U.S. Attorney General during Benjamin Harrison's administration. Miller lived here until his death in 1939. After this the home was converted into a physician's office.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.