Former First Congregational Church (now First Christian Missionary Baptist Church)
1526 North Delaware Street
Plans by the Rev. N.A. Hyde
The church is a good example of late Romanesque Revival. It has all the elements which constitute the style, including round arch openings, wheel windows in the north and south gables, red brick with red sandstone and terra cotta trim. The lower has smaller octagonal turrets at each corner. This structure and the former First Presbyterian Church across the street, serve as formidable northern anchors for Delaware Street.
This church resulted from the merger of two congregations: Plymouth Church and Mayflower Church. Plymouth Church had been located at Meridian and New York Streets, and later 14th Street and Central Avenue. The two churches merged in 1908 and occupied this structure, the former Mayflower building. The Rev. J.W. Wilson served as the first pastor of the newly formed congregation.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.