1416 North Alabama Street
This is another fine example of Late Queen Anne. The Corner tower has imbricated shingles. The Porch with its simple Tuscan columns may be later or could represent the trend toward the Free Classic Style which was beginning to develop at this time. It was built as the residence of William E. Stevenson.
After "retiring" from his father's hardware business in Greencastle at 29, Stevenson became a Putnam County banker. He came to Indianapolis in 1888 and established himself in the real estate business via W.E. Stevenson & Co. One of the town's nineteenth-century movers and shakers, in 1896 he completed the Stevenson building (later renamed the State Life Building), the first modern steel-construction office building in Indianapolis. He figured prominently in various railroad, interurban, and public utility enterprises. Stevenson lived in the home until 1898.,
In 1900 John B. Cockrum (1857-1937) occupied the dwelling. An outstanding corporation lawyer, he represented several railroad firms. In his youth he served as assistant to the U.S. District Attorney at Indianapolis from 1889 to 1893. Cockrum was a prominent as active member of the International Order of Odd Fellows, and was elected to that organization's highest office in 1910. He remained at 1416 until his death in 1937.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.