1224 North Park Avenue
The large scale brackets and cornice windows are all that remain of the original Italianate details of this house. The front door, porch and insul-brick are all later attempts at modernization. The home was constructed by Caroline P. DeWolf.
Joseph Allerdice (1846-1922) began residing in the house in 1891. In 1852, he came to the United States from Scotland, arriving in Indianapolis in 1874. With Edmund Mooney he established the Indianapolis Abbatoir Co., dealers in hides, wool, pelts, furs and tallow. He was elected president and general manager of the firm and held the positions until 1917 when he retired. By that time the business was one of the largest of its kind in the country.
Ruth Allerdice, his daughter was a teacher, who headed the Department of Biology and Physiography at Shortridge High School until 1945. The Allerdice family lived at this address until 1923.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.