Albert W. Coffin House
1553 North Park Avenue
The original porch remains and some of the other wood details which enhance the rich surface effect desired for Queen Anne houses. The onion dome roof of the tower is unusual and adds an exotic touch to the overall profile of the house. Albert W. Coffin built this expansive home and used it as his residence until 1900.
A lifelong resident of Indianapolis, Coffin graduated from the first class of the first high school in town. He went on to become a partner in Coffin, Greenstreet & Fletcher (later Coffin and Fletcher), pork packers.
A subsequent owner, Carl A. Taylor, lived here from 1911 to 1920. Taylor (1872-1932) came to Indianapolis from Kentucky, and with his father organized the firm Taylor & Taylor, dealers iin carpets, draperies, shades and parquet floors. The name was later changed to the Taylor Carpet Co., and still later to Taylor, Inc. By this time, the firm had expanded to include furniture sales. Taylor was an organizer of the original Indianapolis Merchants Association and served as its director for several years.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.