John B. Elam House
1340 North Park Avenue
The rambling Queen Anne house has unusual details: incised cornice boards, a tower with a decorative finial, and a monitor roof. The porch has probably been altered. It was constructed as the resdience of John B. Elam.
A lawyer, Elam (1845-1916) practiced with President Benjamin Harrison and William Henry Harrison Miller as a member of the firm Harrison, Miller, Winters & Elam. He was elected prosecuting attorney of Marion County in 1878, and later served as police commissioner from 1887 to 1891. Elam lived in this house until his death in 1916, after which his widow, Emma, remained here until 1920.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.