620 East 13th Street
The Italianate porch has been lost but the cornice and some of the window surrounds remain on this Italianate residence built by Ovid Dyer Butler, son of the founder of Butler University, on land originally part of the latter's estate.
The younger Butler was employed in the 1860s and 70s as Deputy County Clerk. Later, he and Joseph T. Elliott formed Elliott, Butler & Company, an abstract of title firm. Butler followed the migration of many of his relatives to Irvington in the late 1870s; and in 1877, he sold the home to Elliott.
Elliott, who later became president of the Marion Trust Company (subsequently American Fletcher National Bank), used the home as rental property until 1888, when it was purchased by John N. Newnam.
Newnam was a streetcar conductor. He lived in the home about 40 years until his death in the 1920s.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.