604 East 13th Street
1875; rebuilt c. 1919
The unsympathetic paint colors obscure the black and white detailing of this home, which has been extensively remodeled to the present Jacobethan Revival style. The residence was built by Scot Butler, son of Ovid Butler, who lived here only a year.
In 1877, Butler and Daniel Bradbury traded homes. Butler took Bradbury's residence in Irvington to be closer to the recently moved Butler University, and Bradbury took up occupancy here. A principal in the law firm Bradbury & Ballenger, he also assisted the Julians in the platting of the town of Irvington. He lived at this home until 1895 when it was sold to Alfred Potts.
Potts sold the house to Clemens Vonnegut, Jr. in 1910. For most of his life, Vonnegut (1853-1921) was associated with the Indianapolis Coffin Company. He later served as vice-president of Vonnegut Hardware Company. He was elected to the State Legislature in 1895. His widow, the former Emma Schnull, continued residence in the house for many years after his death.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.