612 East 13th Street
The basic Italianate profile and bracketed cornice of this house have been complemented with later alterations. The porch, first floor arched window, and rounded stairway bay are the later additions. The bay is notable for the sawy and shield detailing and leaded glass windows. The house was probably built by a real estate dealer, Richard M. Cosby. Modifications in the original design of the residence were made by a later owner, Herman Lauter, who purchased the house in 1890.
A native of Germany, Lauter came to Indianapolis by way of New York where he opened a furniture factory. He moved the business to this city to be in the midst of the lumber industry. The Lauter home became a center for discussions on women's suffrage, and many leaders in the cause, including Mrs. William Jennings Bryan and Dr. Anna Howard Shaw, were received here. Lauter made several architectural changes in the design of the home, the most obvious being the addition of the circular extension on the east, to house the stairway. Lauter remained at this address until his death in 1932, after which it was purchased by the Knights of Pythias.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.