630 East 13th Street
Originally an Italianate design, additions by various owners have substantially altered the appearance of this house. It was built for Chauncey Butler, son of Ovid Butler, who lived here only a few years before moving to Irvington when Butler University moved.
Ovid Butler re-acquired the property about 1878, and made a gift of it to the sons of his late daughter, Cordelia Butler Wallace. She had married William Wallace, son of former Governor David Wallace and brother of author Lew Wallace. The property was held by William Wallace in trust until his death in 1891.
The home was then purchased by Henry Schnull, who sold it to his daughter Nancy and son-in-law, Bernard Vonnegut. Vonnegut (1855-1908) was the first licensed architect in the State of Indiana. He helped establish Vonnegut & Bohn, a leading architectural firm in the city at the time. Vonnegut altered the house on the exterior and the interior. The exterior changes included the brick porch and solarium, a change in roof pitch and the dormers. The firm designed many prominent downtown structures, including the L.S. Ayres & Co. store, the John Herron Art Institute, and the Athenaeum. He remained in the residence until his death in 1908. Subsequently, Nancy Vonnegut lived here until 1923.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.