640 East 13th Street
This three-bay Italianate house has been altered although not out of character. The original entrance in the westernmost bay has been changed with the addition of a leaded glass window, possibly added in 1895. The second floor windows above the entrance are the same width as the entrance opening. This emphasis is carried out above the roofline with the addition of a low pitched pediment. This home was also built by [Abraham (Abram)] C. Shortridge.
At the time of its construction, Shortridge (1833-1919) was Superintendent of Indianapolis Public Schools. He left this post in 1874 when he went to Lafayette to begin organizing a new School of Agriculture (later Purdue University). Poor health forced him to leave this position in 1876. He returned to the home in Indianapolis and became involved in real estate via Shortridge, Hadley & Company. In his later years, as his sight failed, he took up farming. Shortridge High School was named in his honor.
From 1874 to about 1884, the home was also occupied by Abel Evans and his wife Allie. No information is available on these individuals, however, it appears they lived in the home at the same time as Shortridge.
The Shortridge family maintained the residence until 1894. During this time it was occupied by Walter Shortridge, a clerk, and Willard P. Shortridge, son of [Abraham (Abram)] and a dentist by profession.
In 1895 the home was taken over by the McFarland family. Livinia and Sarah McFarland were both teachers. Sarah served as principal of Indianapolis Public School No. 5 while at this address.
Alfred H. Johnson moved into the residence in 1908. Johnson (1850-1929), was a federal employee most of his life, serving in the capacity of U.S. Deputy Collector of Customs at his retirement.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.