1410 North Delaware Street
The overall Romanesque Revival styles of this house is most evident around the doorway and in the use of red brick and buff stone trim. The detailing of the porch columns is very similar to that of the Majestic building, designed by D.A. Bohlen & Son, suggesting the possibility of a common architect. The tower on the north side appears curiously stunted compared to the overall massive proportions of the house. John W. Schmidt built this imposing structure.
Schmidt's father came to this country from Germany and settled in Indianapolis in 1856. He subsequently organized the C.F. Schmidt Brewing Company. John Schmidt became involved in the business upon his father's death in 1872. Later the firm merged with two other breweries to become the Indianapolis Brewing Company, of which Schmidt became president. He retired a few years later to look after other business affairs. The Schmidts left this address about 1902.
Shortly thereafter, Joseph C. Schaf, also a brewer, purchased the house. Schaf was president of the American Brewing Company. The Propylaeum, a private women's club bought the house in 1921 and has maintained it ever since.
The carriage house is also of interest, as in the 1920s, the Children's Museum was established here.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.