1446 North Alabama Street
This Queen Anne house has lost its original porch, however, some of the other decorative elements remain. The first story is clapboard; the second, shingled. Shingles were used in the United States as a substitute for clay tiles which were more common in England. This house and an uncommon decorative feature: the circular "pies" above the window in the gable area. These "pies" were used as decorative elements by Richard Norman Shaw on some of his Queen Anne houses. William P. Kappes built this dwelling and occupied it beginning in 1891.
Kappes was an attorney who set up a partnership with Robert M. Fishback. He left this address in 1902.
Following Kappes, Hugh and Myra Richards took up residence. he worked as a manager of Indiana Ornamental Ironworks before becoming president and general manager of Noelke-Richards Ironworks.
Myra Reynolds Richards (1882-1934) became internationally known sculptress. Among her best known works are two drinking fountains in University Park, a statue of James Whitcomb Riley on the Hancock County Square and the figure of a pioneer woman in the Fountain Square group. The Richards lived here from 1902 to 1910. After his death Myra Richards again occupied the home from 1918 to 1925.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979,
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.