Jameson - Morris House
This large brick home is a fine example of the High Victorian Gothic Style, with its decorative bargeboards and steeply pitched roof. The use of stone and colored brick found here was advocated by the Englishman John Ruskin to create a rich polychromatic effect. Dr. Patrick H. Jameson, a respected physician and surgeon built the residence and lived here until his death in 1910.
After graduation from medical school in Philadelphia, Jameson (1824-1910) returned to Indianapolis in 1849 and set up his practice. During the Civil War he served as a military surgeon. Following the war he pursued an interest in the treatment of the mentally ill and was elected Commissioner of the Indiana Hospital for the Insane in 1861 and 1865. He was also elected to the boards of the state institutions for the deaf and dumb and the blind in 1869. Jameson married Ovid Butler's daughter, Maria, in 1850, and later served as Director of Butler University for over 30 years, as well as President of the Board of Directors from 1872 to 1878.
In 1921, Charles A. Morris took up residence. Morris, a carpenter, lived at this address until the mid 1950s.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.