Nicholson Sisters House
The gabled roof, imbricated shingle siding and incised cornice boards help identify this home as Queen Anne Style in its design. It was built for the Nicholson sisters, Elizabeth, Mary E. and Valentine.
The sisters moved to Indianapolis from Ohio in 1869 with their other sister and brother-in-law, Horace McKay. Elizabeth was an artist, who set up an art studio here and gave private lessons. She was especially well known for her watercolors of Indiana flowers. An intellectual, as were all the Nicholsons, she helped organize the Indiana Union of Literary Clubs in the 1890s, which later merged into the Indiana Federation of Clubs.
Mary E. Nicholson (1839-1928) was a teacher before she arrived in Indianapolis and continued as such here. She became principal of the Indianapolis Normal School in 1884, and held this position until 1909. Highly respected by the community, she was the first woman elected to the school board and served from 1910 until 1914. Other positions she held included president of the National Education Association from 1890 to 1891. She also was a member of the Board of Directors of the Herron Art Institute. Public School No.10 is named in her honor. She maintained residence in the house until 1926.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.