1456 North Delaware Street
Herbert W. Foltz, Architect
This house, in all its exotic splendor, reflects the desire for the unusual, which was popular in the late nineteenth century. Many houses had "Persian rooms" complete with decorative tiles, carpets, brassware and sometimes fountains. Here the exoticism is on the exterior with its unusual battlemented parapet, trefoil window details and stone trim. It was designed by Herbert W. Foltz and modeled after a Florentine villa seen by the builder, William J. Reid and his wife, on a trip to Italy.
Reid was an executive in the Kingan Company, a large pork packing firm in the city. He and his wife lived in this house until 1909, when it was purchased by Fred C. Dickson.
Early in his life Dickson (1876-1936) was involved in the theatrical business with Henry Talbott. Their firm, Dickson and Talbott, operated a chain of theaters. The last 30 years of his life were involved in banking. He retired as vice-president of Union Trust Company in 1923 to become president of the Indiana Trust Company in 1925. He also served as director of Merchants National Bank and the Indiana Hotel Company. Dickson left this address in 1930.
Old Northside Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1979
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the IHPC Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, 317-327-4406.