SUTPHIN RESIDENCE WAS HOME
OF MANY PROMINENT FAMILIES
HOUSE AT 1000 NORTH DELAWARE STREET, BUILT BY MILTON COX.
BY AGNES M'CULLOCH HANNA.
The house at 1000 North Delaware
street is another conspicuous
example of care and good housekeeping,
continued throughout its existence.
It was built about the middle of
1875 or 1876 by Milton Cox. He came
here with his wife and son from
Brooklyn, Ind., where he had been
associated with Franklyn Landers in
a general store. After the death of
Mr. Landers's first wife while they
were living in Brooklyn, Mr. and
Mrs. Cox lived with the Landers
family and helped to make a home
for the little daughter. When Mr.
Landers and his family decided to
come to Indianapolis and give
personal attention to some business
interests here, Mr. and Mrs. Cox and
their son Fred came with them. Mr.
Cox was later a partner with Mr.
Landers and Allen Conduitt. Mr.
Cox was an alert business man and
had capital in lumber as well as
At the peak o
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the Indiana Landmarks Wilbur D. Peat Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of the Indiana Landmarks, 800-450-4534.