HOUSE REMINISCENT OF EARLY
DAYS HERE; BUILDER IN DOUBT
(Photo by Star Staff Photographer.)
House at 949 North Pennsylvania street is a fine type of city
BY AGNES M'CULLOCH HANNA.
Who built this house? Some persons
say it was built in the late '60s
by "Ham" Conner, a politician who
came here from Hamilton county and
who held some Federal office.
Possibly he was postmaster for a few
James Morrison took title from the
government in 1821 to a large tract
of land, including this property at
what is now an alley south of Tenth
street and St. Joseph on the east
side of Pennsylvania street. Part of
his land Morrison sold to Bishop
Edward R. Ames and to Alfred Harrison,
who built homes there for their
wives who were sisters. Later this
lot was part of the Roache subdivision.
Record shows that James M. Brad-
shaw acquired title from a certain
M. G. Clark in 1862. Bradshaw sold
after three years, and in June, 1871,
it was conveyed to Elizabeth Conner.
In April, 1872, ten years after his
original purchase, James Bradshaw
again bought the lot. This purchase,
sale and repurchase has occurred
repeatedly among the "houses whose
stories have been given.
Bradshaw Believed Builder.
In spite of neighborhood recollections,
based on this and that detail,
it would seem that this house was
not built by "Ham" Conner, but by
James M. Bradshaw, and in the early
seventies, not the late sixties.
James and his brother John Bradshaw
were well known here. The
Bradshaw name stood for industry
and probity of high order in our
young city. The brothers had owned
a grocery in their early days, but
later their interests were diversified.
James Bradshaw had two sons. John.
who was married to a daughter of
Dunlap, the New York hatter, and
Walter, who now lives in Helena,
The second wife of James Brad-
shaw came from Harrisburg, Pa.
She was a woman of elegance of
manner and great reserve. She
entertained beautifully and had a
group of warm friends who remember
her with affection. Invitations to
the luncheons and dinner parties she
and her husband gave were greatly
Minister in Family.
Joseph A. Milburn, a popular and
well loved minister of the Second
Presbyterian Church, was a member
of Mrs. Bradshaw's family for some
years. He was like an adored son,
and spent some happy years with
Mrs. Bradshaw. Friends of the family
say it was a delight to see her as
she walked into church, as her
carriage was elegant and all her
After the house was sold, the Mar-
tindale family lived there a short
time while rebuilding the house
later known as the E. C. Atkins house
at Thirteenth and Meridian streets.
Mr. and Mrs. O. B. Jameson went
to housekeeping here and after they
bought the beautiful Ames house
where Mrs. Jameson and her son
Booth now live, it became the
property of Mr. and Mrs. John M. Judah.
The "reveals" of the door and windows
show that the period in which
the house was built was the early
seventies. The stone balcony is like
those of the Ferguson house, now the
University Club, and on the "Sheriff"
Parker house, now the Glen-Martin,
on St. Joseph and Meridian streets.
Rooms Are Spacious.
The rooms are spacious, and Mr.
and Mrs. Judah filled the house with
souvenirs of their many interests and
many journeys. A most interesting
feature was the use of the space
back of the front rooms for a
secluded outdoor drawing room
"atrium" or "lanai," on the south of
the house. The walls sheltered a
quiet court where ornamental
plaques from the potteries of Lucca
della Robbia and other Italian artists
were hanging, and where vines grew
in wall pockets. A sense of peace
pervaded the place, and it was to
imagine having tea or coffee there,
that a busy street was only a few
The third floor was made into an
apartment for junior members of the
family. Mr. and Mrs. Judah moved
from this house about two years ago.
There are two sons, Harry Judah-
Brandon, living in Long Island. He
has two daughters, Mary, the wife
of Robert Sherwood, author and
playwright, of New York, and
Constance, a young girl in college. John
Judah-Brandon of this city was
married to Muriel Hitt, daughter of
George C. Hitt, and they have a
daughter, Barbara, and a son, John.
The Judah family is closely con-
nected with early Indianapolis, with
the families of Governor Noah
Noble, Ovid Butler and Alexander
Jameson, all of whom helped to
make our city what it is.
Butler Dinner Recalled.
Mr. and Mrs. Judah gathered
about them men and women of
cultural interests. Their friends were
legion. During the last years of her
life Mrs. Judah liked to talk of the
early days of Indianapolis as she had
heard of them from older members
of her family. Her remembrances of
her grandfather, Ovid Butler, and
his patriarchial life at Forest home
at Park avenue and Thirteenth
street were vivid. Her mother had
told her of the dinner Ovid Butler
gave to his workmen when his house
was completed in 1848, and about
the experimental gardens he
installed near his home.
Mrs. Judah kept her contacts with
her friends to the last and gathered
them about her tea table for
reminiscences of the past and discussions
of the present. She was keenly
interested in life and in the men and
women who lived here and who set
the pattern for our city.
This house still stands—a part of
the city that is fast disappearing.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Any copies made from materials in the Indiana Landmarks Wilbur D. Peat Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of the Indiana Landmarks, 800-450-4534.