|Previous||1 of 68||Next|
Loading content ...
Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana the Indiana Preservationist 3402 Boulevard Place, Indianapolis, IN 46208 Athenaeum hosts annual meeting and dinner by Jan Finney MARK your calendars now, folks, for HLFI's annual meeting and membership dinner on Friday evening, April 22. The site of this year's event will be Indianapolis' historic Athenaeum, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Our keynote speaker will be Tersh Boasberg of Washington, DC, one of the nation's foremost authorities on preservation law. Through his association with the National Center for Preservation Law and Preservation Action, the national preservation lobby, Boasberg has been involved in many of the landmark decisions that have upheld the validity of preservation legislation and ordinances. The Athenaeum is located at 401 East Michigan Street. Built between 1893 and 1897, it was known as "Das Deutsche Haus" until World War I when the name was changed because of anti-German sentiment. The German Renaissance Revival building includes a gymnasium, ballroom, central bier-garten, and the various "kellars" that served as the cultural and activities center for the German population of Indianapolis. The Athenaeum's authentic "oom-pah-pah" band has agreed to give HLFI members a demonstration during the social hour in the Rathskellar, starting at 5:30 p.m. At 6:30 we will Architect's rendering of the Athenaeum, designed by Vonnegut & Bohn. adjourn to the Kellarsahl to dine on ship's round of beef, carved at the buffet, and other specialities of the Athenaeum kitchen. Chairman Earl Capehart will call the annual meeting to order at 7:30. On the agenda are the presentation of the Sandi Servaas Memorial Award, a review of the year's activities by the president, Reid Williamson, and election of board members. Members of HLFI's thirteen Affiliates will also receive invitations to this event and we hope many will join us. It should be noted that individual members of Affiliates are not entitled to vote at the annual meeting unless they also hold separate membership in HLFI. This requires clarification since it has caused some confusion in the past. A golden annivesary celebration FOR'THE-RECORD HABS Historic American Buildings Survey 1933 • in Indiana • 1983 by Charles Jacobs 1933: Hitler is appointed Chancellor . . , F.D.R. launches his New Deal. . . John Dillinger escapes from an Indiana prison . . . the Century of Progress Exposition opens in Chicago . . . and architects of the National Park Service begin the Historic American Buildings Survey. THE Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) was established as both an agency to study architecture of historical importance and a national collection of drawings and photographs which preserve and proclaim the heritage of our man-made environment. Architects, draftsmen, and photographers were employed under several Federal relief programs to "secure, collate, and preserve drawings, plans, photographs, and other data of historic and archaeological sites, buildings, and objects." With the American Institute of Architects and the Library of Congress, the National Park Service had organized HABS as a nationwide program of documentation by the mid-thirties. The program grew during the following decade with the donation of records and contributions of four mobile field parties. In 1951, teams of students, supervised by professors of architecture, began to record National Park Service buildings for HABS during the summer, an activity which was later expanded. Although the role of HABS was redefined after the passage of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the agency continued its broad program of intensive architectural surveys. Today, HABS works closely with state and local governments, preservation groups, and historical societies to achieve "preservation through documentation." To commemorate the semicentennial of the Historic American Buildings Survey, HLFI has prepared a traveling exhibition. "For the Record: Historic American Buildings Survey in Indiana, 1933-1983" features photographs (both black-and-white and color) and measured drawings of familiar—and not so familiar- structures in Indiana, ranging from the Old State Capitol at Corydon to the Switzerland County Courthouse Privy. These are accompanied by a text which provides a history of HABS and its work in Indiana. "F OR the Record" is being organized by HLFI with support from the Historic American Buildings Survey, the Historic American Engineering Record, the Indiana Architectural Foundation, and Ball State University. The forty-two panel exhibit will make its debut at the Huddleston Farmhouse Inn Museum on U.S. 40 on May 8, and will be available for loan—free of charge—after June. For further information, please contact Charles M. Jacobs, Programs and Exhibits Coordinator, Huddleston Farmhouse Inn Museum.
|Title||Indiana Preservationist 1983|
|Serial Title||Indiana Preservationist|
|Creator||Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana|
Historic buildings--Conservation and restoration--Indiana--Periodicals
|Publisher||Historic Landmarks Foundation: Indianapolis, IN|
|Original Repository||Indiana Landmarks (http://www.indianalandmarks.org/) 800-450-4534|
|Digital Repository||IUPUI University Library|
|Format and Resolution||Full View: 600 dpi JPEG2000; Print View: PDF; Archived View: 600 dpi tif|
|Scanner||Minolta PS 7000 open book scanner|
|Digital Collection||Indiana Preservationist|
|Usage Rights||Any copies made from materials in the Indiana Landmarks Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of Indiana Landmarks, 800-450-4534.|